Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease or FLUTD is a cat condition that generalized different infections affecting the bladder and the urethra. The causes of these infections may differ from one case to another, but the result, and the symptoms are normally similar. Medically, these diseases and infections may cause an alarming result for your feline friend and one of the worst is DEATH.
FLUTD may have a lot of similarities to us getting an Urinary Tract Infection. Symptoms are also similar but then, the effect may be a lot different especially in the body of a cat. To elaborate more about this disease, we must know the signs, treatment and possible prevention.
What Are The Signs To Look For When Your Cat Has FLUTD?
Of course, to know if your cat needs medical attention, you must know the signs to look for. Here are the common signs that your cat might have Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease.
- Pollakiuria – Considered as the frequent trip to the Litter-Box. Try to observe if your cat makes it as a habit to go into the Litter-Box and pee more than usual.
- Hematuria – Blood in the Urine
- Dysuria – This happens when a cat is having trouble and pain while urinating.
- Periuria – Urinating in inappropriate places other than Litter-Box.
- Over-Grooming – Licking and Cleaning, specifically in the Genital Area
- Behavioral Changes – Cats being irritable.
Look for these signs to determine if your cat may be experiencing FLUTD. If you confirmed most of these signs to be happening, then it is important to consult your veterinarian for further diagnostic and medical attention.
What Can Cause FLUTD?
Knowing what may cause FLUTD, could help you to prevent this illness. Usually, the cause of this disease depends on the cats situation in your home.
- Urethral Obstruction – This medical condition happens when either a urolith or a urethral plug lodges in the urethra that prevents a cat from urinating.
- Urolithiasis – This occurs when a stone is formed in the urinary bladder of the cat, preventing him/her to urinate well.
Follow these simple steps to help reduce the chance of FLUTD developing …
- Keep the Litter-Box Clean
Always check if the Litter-Box is clean, change it frequently because bacteria and infections may build up in the litter-box of a cat.
- Provide a lot of Water
Water cleanses the body. We all know that. Provide them with a lot of water so that the food breakdown in the stomach may go well and, it prevents the build-up of salts in the body that forms the crystal that blocks the urethra and also affects the kidney.
- Let them have their own meal time cycle
Do not force them to eat whenever you like. The cat must make his/her own decision. Just always prepare him/her a set of dry food and water but, avoid overfeeding.
- Avoid Stressing out your cat
A stressed or depressed cat may affect its overall health. Therefore, make a point to avoid stressing your cat.
These simple, yet effective tips could go a long way to help prevent this deadly disease. One final act and method you can use to protect your cats’ health as a pet parent, is to learn and research about the different ways you can do to give your feline friend a healthy life and a proper urination. Watching the video below is a good start as it contains very useful advice about FLUTD.[mashshare]
Like This Post? ... Then Like Our Page :)[efb_likebox fanpage_url="YOURFBPAGEHERE" fb_appid="0000000000000000" box_width="250" box_height="" locale="en_US" responsive="1" show_faces="0" show_stream="0" hide_cover="1" small_header="1" hide_cta="1" ]